Engine Co. 4, Truck Co. 2 and the Assistant Chief (C-21) are located at 518 Mulberry st. in Fire Headquarters. In addition to the three units, this station is home to the Fire Prevention and Investigation offices, the office of the Deputy Chief and the office of the Superintendent of Fire. Fire Headquarters was built in 1905 and is a protected Historical landmark
Prior to using the county communication center for our dispatching, the city’s dispatchers worked out of the third floor of the building. Additionally the Fire department Master Mechanic shops were located in the rear of the building. And at one time C-23 and C-24, the city’s ambulances would run out of headquarters. C-24 would move to the quarters of Engine Co.9 and Truck Co. 4 in 1970. Ambulance service was discontinued in 1988.
Truck Co.1 would respond from this location in addition to Truck Co. 2 until the late 1940’s when Truck Co.1 would be moved to Franklin ave.
Engine Co. 4‘s first due area is Central City, the Hill Section, Green Ridge and parts of South Side. In the event of a second alarm Engine co. 4 will respond everywhere in the city. Engine Co. 4 was formed from Crystal Engine no. 4 of the original volunteer companies. Crystal Engine no. 4 was located at 320 linden st, but was moved once headquarters was completed.
Truck Co. 2 was one of three ladder trucks that the city once operated and was always located at Fire Headquarters. Its past can be traced to one of the original volunteer companies, Hook and Ladder no. 1. Now one of the two remaining truck companies, it responds to everything on the east side of the Lackawanna River, and like Engine Co. 4 will respond to all second alarms.
C-21 which is the assistant chief responds to all alarms in the city
The assistant chief was the first unit in the city to be motorized in 1911.
Car 21 is a 2008 Ford Expedition. It is staffed by the Assistant Chief and his driver.
Engine 4 is a 2015 KME with 1000 gallon booster tank.
Engine Co. 4 is staffed with four Fire Fighters.
Truck 2 is a 2002 Ferrara Ladder Tower with a 1500 gpm pump and a 250 gallon booster tank.
Truck Co. 2 is staffed with four Fire Fighters.
(Photos from the Mark Boock Collection)
The Assistant Chief and the Superintendant circa 1940
A 1967 Plymouth
A 1914 Seagrave Combination Motor car
A 1966 American La France with a 1000 gpm pump
A 1915 American La France Service Truck
A 1972 American La France 100 ft Tractor Aerial