Engine Co. 8 is located at 207 W. Market st. Also housed here is C-30, our Mobile Air Unit, and the Fire Prevention Smoke House. Engine Co. 8’s first due area is North Scranton, the Plot, and parts of Green Ridge. In the event of a Second Alarm Engine Co. 8 will go to West Side, Central City as well as parts of the Hill Section and Keyser Valley.
Engine Co. 8 can be traced to the combination of two of our volunteer companies,
Excelsior Hose no. 8 and Niagara Hose no. 7
The original station of Engine Co. 8 was located at 211 W. Market st. In the early 1940’s the company moved to 29 E. Market st., this station also housed the North Scranton Police Precinct of the SPD. In 1979 the station on W. Market st was constructed and Engine Co. 8 and Engine Co. 12 would be consolidated to run from the new station. An interesting note the present station was constructed behind the original station of 211 W. Market st. Engine Co. 12 was located at 2614 N. Main ave but would never make it to its new home, it was disbanded in 1978.
Engine Co. 8’s station on E. Market st was sold to private owners. Engine Co. 12’s station was torn down.
Engine 8 is a 1997 Fererra pumper with a 1500 gpm pump and a 750 gallon booster tank. Engine Co. 8 has four Firefighters assigned to it.
(Photos from the Mark Boock Collection)
A 1959 Ford with a 750 gpm pump shown at 29 E. Market st.
A 1971 Ward La France with a 1000 gpm pump