The Scranton Fire Bureau has had a long history and many companies have come and gone. The following is a list of disbanded companies that were once operated by the Scranton Fire Bureau.
In addition to Truck and Engine companies Scranton once used Chemical and Hose companies, while Chemical companies would cease to exist by 1917, Hose companies would remain until being reassigned as Engine companies in the mid 1960’s.
Although some of the companies have been moved around to different addresses through the years, the last addresses prior to being disbanded are being used here.
(All Photos are from the Mark Boock Collection)
Engine Co. 1
Engine co. 1 was located at 233 Franklin ave. and covered Central City, the Hill Section, Pine Brook, Green Ridge and parts of lower South Side. This station once was the home of the Nay Aug Hose co. no. 1, one of the original volunteer companies.This station was built in the American Gothic style construction was three stories tall featuring very elaborate stonework on the third story.Many years later the third story would be taken down and the stationed remained unchanged until the company’s disbandment.
At one time both Engine co.1 and Truck co.1 responded from this location, however due to problems with an unstable floor, Truck co. 1 would be moved to Engine co. 2 on Cedar ave. Further troubles with the building forced Engine co. 1 to relocate to Fire Headquarters in 1974. The building was sold by the city to a private owner and in 2008 was torn down.Presently the department refers to one of the two spare pumpers as Engine 1 but it is not an active company.
Engine Co. 3
Engine co. 3 was located at 1115 Division st. and covered west side. Originally Engine co. 3 was located at 120 N. Hyde Park ave. and is descended from the Franklin Engine co. 1 one of the original volunteer companies. The station on Division st was the home of the Columbia Hose co. no. 5 another volunteer company. Prior to housing an Engine company, this station was the home of Hose co. 11. In the late 1960’s all hose companies would be reassigned as engine companies. Engine co. 3 would remain here until it was disbanded in the late 1970’s. The building was sold to a private owner and is still standing today.
Engine Co. 5
Engine co. 5 was located at 710 S. Irving ave. and protected South Side. Originally Hose co. 6 responded from this location while Engine co. 5 was located at 1631 Dickson ave. Hose co. 6 can be traced to members of one of the original volunteer companies, the Century Hose co. no.10. Around 1940 Engine co.5 would replace Hose co. 6 in South Side and Hose co. 6 would cease to exist. Engine co. 5 was disbanded in 1973 and the building sold to private owner. This structure still is still standing today.
Engine Co. 6
Engine co. 6 was located at 940 Wyoming ave. The station was built in 1911 on land donated to the city by the International Correspondence School (ICS). The ICS had one stipulation, that the city use the land for a fire station and that an engine be maintained there. In addition to Engine co. 6, the Hydrant Division was located in the rear of the structure along with the facilities to repair the city's hydrants. Engine co. 6 was one of the cities busiest companies and responded to Central City, the Hill Section, Green Ridge, North Scranton and the Providence Section. In 1980 the original station was torn down and a new station was built in its place. Engine co. 6 would be disbanded in 1990 and that same year the station would become the home of the newly formed Rescue co. 1.
Engine Co. 9
Engine Co. 9 was located at 1047 N. Main ave. In 1928 it began its life on N. Main ave and Potomac st. along with Truck Co.4 in a brand new station. It was formed as a result of consolidation of hose companies. In 1964 these companies were moved to their new station down the road. Engine Co. 9 would be disbanded in 2011 after a change in the department shift schedule.
Engine Co. 11
Engine co. 11 was located at 1631 Dickson ave. and covered the Green Ridge, Pine Brook and North Scranton area. General Phinney Engine co. 4, one of the original volunteer companies, once called this address home. Prior to the formation of Engine co. 11 the station was the home of Hose co. 1 and later Engine co. 5. In the mid 60’s all hose companies would be reassigned as engine companies. Engine co. 11 would be in service for only a short time before being disbanded in 1973. The station would become the city's sign shop. The building is owned by a private owner and still stands today but does not resemble a firehouse. Presently the department refers to one of the two spare pumpers as Engine 11, but it is not an active company.
Engine Co. 12
Engine co. 12 was located at 2614 N. Main ave and protected North Scranton. Prior to its formation in the late 1960’s the station was home of Hose co. 4. In the late 60’s all hose companies would be reassigned as engine companies. Engine co. 12 would only be in service a short time before being part of the consolidation with Engine co. 8 in 1979. The new station on 211 W. Market st. was supposed to house the two companies but Engine co. 12 would be disbanded in 1978 before the station’s completion. The station would be sold to a private owner and would be destroyed years later by fire. A residential home now sits on the property.
Engine co. 13
Engine co. 13 was located at the corner of Pittston ave and Gibbons st. Prior to its formation in the late 1960’s the station was the home of Hose co. 5. Hose co. 5 can be traced to one of the original volunteer companies known as William Connell Hose co. no. 9. In the late 1960’s all hose companies would be reassigned as engine companies and Hose co. 5 would become Engine co. 13. In 1980 Engine co. 13’s building underwent major renovations which included improvements to the living area and an additional apparatus bay to accommodate Engine co. 2. The two would run out of this location until 1996 when Engine co. 13 would be disbanded.
Engine co. 14
Engine co. 14 was located at 109 N. Cameron ave , prior to Engine 14’s formation the station was home of Hose co. 8. In the late 60’s all hose companies would be reassigned as engine companies. Hose co. 8 can be traced back to one of the Independent volunteer companies know as the Keyser Valley Hose Company. In 1979 due to poor conditions the station would be closed and Engine co. 14 would relocate to Engine co. 7 on S. Main ave. In 1980 a new station was built on Luzerne st. and would house Engine co. 7 and Engine co. 14. The two would respond from this location until 1996 when Engine co. 14 would be disbanded. The station on N. Cameron ave. would be torn down and a residential home now sits on the property.
Engine co. 15
Engine Co. 15 was located at 1409 Ash st. and was built in 1859 it was the oldest station in service in the city. Engine Co. 15 responded to all of Petersburg, the Hill section, parts of Central City and parts of Green Ridge on first alarms. In the event of a second alarm Engine Co. 15 responded to Central City, Green Ridge, North Scranton, South Scranton and the Plot Section. Engine Co.15 also responded to assist Dunmore FD when requested.
One of the original volunteer companies, The Relief Engine no. 3 called this address home. Prior to the formation of Engine Co. 15, Hose no. 1 and Hose no. 9 would both serve time at this station. Hose no. 9 would become Engine Co. 15 when the city stopped using hose companies in the late 1960’s. The building would remain unchanged until undergoing seven months of major remodeling and reopen in October of 1980. On 1/1/12 the doors were closed as a result of cutbacks in the department by the administration.
Truck co. 1
Truck co.1 was originally located at Fire Headquarters and would respond with Truck co.2. In mid 1950 Truck co.1 would move to 235 Franklin ave. in Engine co.1’s station. The two would reside here until 1975 when problems with the floor of the apparatus bay forced Truck co. 1 to relocate to Engine co. 2 on Cedar ave. This move would be short lived because by the late 1970’s Truck co. 1 would be disbanded. Today the departments’ spare ladder truck is referred to as Truck 1 but it is not an active company.
Truck co. 3
Truck co. 3 would be in service only a short time for the city. In 1923 Truck co. 3 would be put into service with a 1915 75’ American La France ladder truck. It would be located at the quarters of Engine co.2 at 814 Cedar ave. The intent was to have a ladder company close to the large factories that were located in South Side. With the completion of the station on N. Main ave and Potomac st. in 1928, Truck co. 3 would be reassigned as Truck co. 4 and moved to its new home with Engine co. 9.
Originally Car 20 was used for one of the city's two ambulances. At some point Car 20 would change to Car 24 at which time the Superintendent would be referred to as Car 20. Since the 1990's under the Connor's administration the designation Car 5 is the designation used for the Superintendent.
The District chief (C-22) was located at the quarters of Engine co. 9 and was responsible for all alarms, on the west side of the Lackawanna river. In the event of a second alarm fire the District Chief would be responsible for operations in the rear of the incident. Car 22 consisted of the District Chief and his driver. Car 22 would be disbanded in 1993. In 2011 the designation was resurrected and is now used by the Administrative Captain.
The Arson Patrol van (C-28) was created in response to a multitude of arson fires in the city in the late 1970’s early 1980’s. Created under Superintendent Robert Ruddy the Arson Patrol was staffed by two firefighters and traversed high risk areas in hopes of early detection of fires. The Arson Patrol was disbanded in the mid 1980's once the rash of arson fires subsided and the deignation Car 28 was assigned to the assistant Master Mechanic.
Car 29 was assigned to the Fire Investigation Division in the 1980’s. Today each investigator has their own designation on their vehicle.
While most Hose companies would be reassigned as Engine companies by the late 1960’s, two would not make it into the 1950’s.
Hose co. 3
Hose co. 3 was located at 332 Fifth ave, this structure is still standing and is owned by a private owner.
Hose co. 7
Hose co. 7 was located at 1020 W. Market st. the building is no longer standing.
The Hydrant Division (C-25) would be responsible for the maintenance and repair of all the city’s fire hydrants. The Hydrant Division would be located in the rear of Engine co. 6 on Wyoming ave. In 1990 the operations were moved to Engine co. 8 on W. Market st. Car 25 was originally staffed by the Hydrant Inspector and his Aide. The aide was eliminated in 1993 and in 2002 the Hydrant Division was eliminated. Currently Inspector 2’ s vehicle carries this designation.
Car 23 and Car 24
Formed in 1948 Car 20 and Car 23 were assigned to the two ambulances utilized by the department. Both ambulances would respond from Fire Headquarters and each was staffed by two firefighters. At some point Car 20 would change to Car 24. By 1970 Car 24 would move to Engine co. 9’s station on N. Main ave. while Car 23 remained at Fire Headquarters. By 1985 the city reduced to one ambulance leaving Car 23 at Fire Headquarters and by 1988 ambulance service was discontinued.